[AZ-Observing] Re: Orion Telescope Monsters

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:37:48 -0700

Well I have to say that I agree with the warning for <12-year-olds.  DFAC
did an Astronomy Night for a local Cub Scout group up here at Heimhenge in
New River, and these are very tiny people.  Even with my 17" Dob, I needed
to provide a ladder.  My wife's in the insurance business, so she always
cautions me in situations like this ... worried about liabilities etc.
Having little kids climb a ladder in the dark worried her.  She insisted
that the scout master or some other adult have a hand on the kid while they
were on the ladder.  When I explained that to the group, they had no
problems with it.  All our clubs carry insurance, but it's pretty minimal
when you consider how litigious society is these days.  So it's only logical
that the manufacturers start including these warnings.  When I purchased
that ladder, btw, it had 14 warning stickers affixed to it.  No kidding ...
I counted them.

Dan Heim