[AZ-Observing] Re: Observing sites in Arizona

  • From: "Kevin Bays" <bayskevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 02:54:48 -0700

Shaun,

Possibly due to luck, I've experienced the best seeing I've ever experienced
at Sentinel.  Two of the four times I went there (1997-99 timeframe), it was
amazingly steady.  It may be due to the fact that the place sits far from
any mountains(?).  Sentinel is certainly a site I'd recommend, and I go
there with my little Mazda Protege.  Super dark too.  And not far from the
freeway in case your car breaks down, etc.

I'm in the Tucson area, so usually observe from around there (I live on the
west side).  The road to Empire is a little rougher (it used to be very much
so, but was graded last year).  This is my main site for observing these
days.  It's very dark, and the seeing is not too bad.  Timpa is a little
brighter, being closer to town.  I go there too, but prefer Empire since
it's further from sky glow.  It takes a drive on a dirt road to get to Timpa
too, although not as much.  Timpa takes about 2 miles on a dirt road.
Empire takes something like 4.  Empire involves a rougher ride (cattle
guards, a wash with a concrete pad overlay, etc.).  I go to both sites with
a compact car.  Of course mine is a vintage 93 car (not a collector's
edition type).  Nevertheless, getting to either site probably won't do too
much to your car.  The biggest issue is dust accumulation, and gravel being
tossed up beneath the car.  But this can be reduced by going slower.

Hope to see you at an observing session some time.