[AZ-Observing] Re: Messier Marathon Site Horizon Profile

  • From: "Gene A. Lucas" <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:52:28 -0700

Nevermind..... I found the info on the SAC web pages, in the Messier
Marathon announcement:
Driving Directions to Messier Marathon observing site (Salome Emergency
Airfield site):
Hovatter Airstrip:  Travel time about 2 hours.  From Phoenix, go west on I-10
to Hovatter Rd at exit 53 or about 40 miles west of Palo Verde Nuclear Power
generating station.
Turn left over the freeway, drive over the canal.  When you cross the canal,
turn hard left. Go 1.1 miles to a bend in the road. As the road veers to the SE,
look for a road running due south at the same point--- VINEGAROON ROAD.  Take
it for 1.8 miles. You will come to a small left-right zig-zag, then see a chain
link fence
enclosing an area about 20 ft by 20 ft. Thatâ??s the airfield entrance.

N 33° 34' 50" W 113° 35' 53" Elevation: 1,378 ft.

Overhead photo of site and map:

http://saguaroastro.org/content/AAMM/hovatter_airstrip.jpg

THX Rick and Tom for the discussion...
Cheers,