[AZ-Observing] Re: Messier Marathon Site Horizon Profile

  • From: <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:15:07 -0500

For the sake of completeness to the point of overkill, here is the methodology
I used.

Please note no GPS units were used for these calculations :)
In Garmin MapSource Topo Software, I created a waypoint at the intersection of
the runways. I used the Measurement tool to drag a line from the Observing site
to the various peaks & saddles within 15 miles of the site. I can then get the
distance, & bearing from the site and the elevation of the point.

I entered this into a spreadsheet, calculated the Delta h between the two point
in on column, converted the distance from miles to feet in a second column and
did the 10th grade trig in the third.

I had planned on using the data to create a horizon file for SkyMap pro, my
planetarium software of choice, but given the level of precision in SkyMap is 1
degree, it seemed somewhat pointless.

I do however have such a file for the Antennas Site, if anyone using SkyMap is
interested. Given the proximity of the hills to the Southeast & South there,
the horizon does come into play for low latitude objects. OmegaCentauri barely
scrapes over the top of the rise to the immediate south from there.

Rick