[AZ-Observing] Re: McNaught tonight (Monday) ?

  • From: Joe Orman <joe.orman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 19:05:49 -0800 (PST)

I tried from south of Chandler Monday evening, but despite repeatedly sweeping
the area with 10x50 binos, also have to report a "Non-observation."  No clouds,
but a bit too much haze, I suppose.  A few days earlier I tried in the morning
sky but was foiled by clouds.  Maybe I'm biased by being 0-for-2, but based on
the reports and photos I've seen, the attempt to label this a "great comet"
like Hale-Bopp is laughable.

  On a more positive note, Monday evening was the first chance I had to see
Venus now that it has entered the evening sky, where it will remain for the
first half of the year.  It will steadily climb further out of the twilight
over the next few months, reaching a peak in May when it will blaze high in the
dark sky and set more than three hours after sunset.  My Sky Events Almanac
lists dates each month when the crescent moon will appear close to Venus
(January 20, February 19, March 20, April 19, May 19, June 17-18, July 16):
  http://joeorman.shutterace.com/Almanac2007.html
  Check out this beautiful and easily-seen naked-eye sight!

  --Joe