[AZ-Observing] Re: McNaught tonight (Monday) ?

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:33:21 EST

Tonight, I made another observation of comet 2006/P1 McNaught. The western
horizon was free of clouds, which allowed a better view than Sunday's. I first
spotted Venus naked eye at 5:29 pm MST; swept up
the comet in my 10x50  binoculars at 5:44 pm and was able to consistently see
the bright head of the  comet naked eye starting at 5:59 pm when it was about
1.5 degrees above the  treeline. A half-degree dust tail was plainly visible
in the binoculars and a  shorter, arcing plasma tail was suspected against the
twilight sky.
I again  took several exposures on the D70 and the comet shows up in the the
last few.  It's faint but plainly there.
Not a bad little comet.

BYW, what's with all the talk in other forums of this being a Great Comet?
I've seen comments from people calling McNaught "easily the best  comet since
Hale-Bopp." I wouldn't rank it in the top five comets I've seen  since HB; not
even close. Does our latitude really have that much effect on  how McNaught
appears?

Bill in Flag