[AZ-Observing] Re: Instant criminals

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:57:44 -0800

After writing this I saw others have raised some of the same questions I
have raised, but I'll submit it anyway.

If their lazer is the one that hit the aircraft it had to have been a
lucky shot at something 3,000 feet away. Have you ever tried hitting the
light sensor on top a mercury vapor light at only 600 ft? It is very
very difficult and requires a steady tripod mount. It seems it will be
difficult to prove that their lazer activities were the ones that hit
the aircraft and more specifically the front windshield. The article did
say there was a "rash" of reported incidents and so apparently others
are engaged in the activity. Yes, it is sad that merely because there is
some (alleged) evidence of terrorists exploring the use of lazers that
now we are immediately suspect if we happen to hit an airplane
accidentally while pointing out stars. Further, I would never have
guessed that these very small hand lazers could do eye damage 3,000 feet
away or cause an accident when you consider the angles involved. At RTMC
usually there are many green lazers dancing around on the outside side
of  the meeting hall while everyone is waiting in their lawn chair for
door prizes to begin. I know there have been attempts to stop this by
the RTMC officials but without success. If they were really that
dangerous, I am sure something more serious would have been done at RTMC
to stop it, like calling out the FBI?
Stan