[AZ-Observing] Re: Instant criminals

  • From: Russell Chmela~ <rchmela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 15:06:11 -0700

A cockpit windscreen in most of the standard airliners is about the
same size as that of an automobile , just double glazed and flat in
its shape.

  What I find odd about the whole thing is that (and someone with
more laser knowledge help me out here if this is not correct) a beam
from a green pointer would likely diverge and spread if going through
all of that glass at an angle. If coming from the ground, it will be
an angle and a steep one. The amount of power left would be little or
no harm to vision and like Thad said, how can you track a retina with
a hand pointer given the large angle movement between those two?

  The way I see it, its just more paranoia on the part of airlines
and government. I would be a lot more worried if that green beam was
trying to lock onto an engine. Instead of worrying about George Lucas
type threats , maybe the security types should be worried about the
hundreds of shoulder carried SAM rockets (infrared) out there and
be a bit more realistic.

Not a pilot, but very enthusiast on aircraft.
Not bored , but photon deprived.

 RC

 Added bonus thoughts....How big is a cockpit window?  How much control
would someone from
say, a mile or two, have to possess to point a laser in that area, even
momentarily, while it's moving
at a few hundred mph?  Is it feasible to think that someone *could* do
it by *hand*?

I know there are some pilots in the group, what are your thoughts?

Just bored on a Tuesday afternoon,