[AZ-Observing] Re: Cherry

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:24:14 -0700

Somehow it seems like a no brainer to me. Cherry road area is likely
to be affected by the fires, low desert areas, e.g., Sentinel are
going to be blazingly hot. It now looks like I-17 will be open all
weekend.

Come on up to the Deep Impact Star Party in Dewey. You might even
bring a light jacket for the cool evening. According to Stan the
fires are well away and pretty much out of sight and the smoke is
headed way east so it should not be a problem. For those who have not
been to Stan's place, it's over 5,000 feet elevation and has very
dark skies. It's at the end of a road so there will be little if any
traffic.

Anyone wishing to do astro imaging would do well there. That's in
addition to visual observing. I remember the last star party a couple
years ago (I think it was a Summer Solstice party). Looking to the
south low on the horizon omega Centauri just about knocked my socks
off. It was even easy in binoculars.

Stan has viewed the comet from his place recently and it looks like
it will be visible until well after midnight before setting. This
means it should be well placed, even if low, for the impact.

While some claim to have seen M51 from the Phoenix area, I have yet
to succeed. This is another easy object from Stan's place and with
the new supernova in it, it should be an exciting view.

Stan has lots of area and at the last party several people brought tents.

If you need directions or have questions, contact Stan.

stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************