[AZ-Observing] Re: Astroman Site

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:25:26 -0700

Stanley A. Gorodenski replied in part:

>As an aside, the Leonids were pretty dismal this year, at least during
>the short time I observed them. From 11:45 to 1:00 I saw only one
>medium  sized meteor from the east to the west. I saw about 7 weaker
>ones from the west to the east. Maybe some saw more at another time
>during the night.
>Stan

I agree with Stan. I stayed up until 2 AM. While it was a beautiful,
but cool evening, I never saw ANY meteors from my west Phoenix
location. The sky was pretty bright, however.

While waiting for the "show" I was looking at Algol and got inspired
to set up a program to do some PEP on it. I've always wanted to, but
now feel it will be a good way to get back into the PEP business. I'm
thinking about using 16 Per as a comparison star. Any thoughts?
Anyone interested in joining in.

I've never seen UBV curves for Algol so it may prove interesting.
 From the S&T site, the next set of minimums looks like around 5 Dec
to 10 Dec. The times of the minima are the middle of the night so
good curves should be able to be obtained on each side while still
dark. It will be all night observing, but may be fun. AnNy takers?

Jeff
--
                                      Jeff Hopkins
                                        HPO SOFT