[AZ-Observing] Re: Astroman Site

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 02:25:47 -0800

For me the discussion on the AAVSO distribution list is irrelevant.
Let's also not forget that the AAVSO was behind times when it came to
the photoelectric measurements of variable stars. Doug Hall's inability
to get AAVSO to become active regarding PMT data resulted in his
breaking off and starting the IAPPP (per Doug Hall at the IAPPP West
meeting about 3 years ago).

As I already stated, as for me the discussion in AAVSO is irrelevant. I
already have a PMT and I am sure valuable work can still be done with
it. I lean in the direction of a PMT over a CCD because of the spectral
sensitivities Jeff mentioned, although I am sure owners of CCD's can
make counter arguments. Lou Boyd, who is one of the major pioneers of
automated telescopes, started the Fairborn observatory near Nogales and
he collected valuable data for years using PMT's. I believe he still has
PMT's, although he also offers CCD's because of the service he offers to
astronomers. Also, Dick Lines, who passed away in 1991, had developed
quite a reputation for himself with only a PMT. The year he passed away
he received an award from the AAS in recognition of his work. If he were
alive today I am sure he would still be using his PMT in Mayer, and
doing valuable research with it. While there are some advantages to a
CCD, such as the comparison star having a greater chance of being in the
image, on the PMT side it is now possible for amateurs to fully automate
their telescope. This is in the direction I want to head. Further, it
seems to me that the CCD's greater utility, or callling, is in
spectroscopy, rather than variable stars. This, I am sure, is debateable.

As an aside, the Leonids were pretty dismal this year, at least during
the short time I observed them. From 11:45 to 1:00 I saw only one
medium  sized meteor from the east to the west. I saw about 7 weaker
ones from the west to the east. Maybe some saw more at another time
during the night.
Stan