[AZ-Observing] An Eyepiece for the LXD75 10" ?

  • From: Stan Gorodenski <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:32:33 -0800

I need a recommendation for a good (but not so super good that I pay
$400 or more) long focal length eyepiece for my f/4 Meade LXD75 10". A
number of years ago I bought a 55mm University Plossel, 2" barrel, at
RTMC. This eyepiece works great on the LXD. the star images are pretty
good all the way across the field of view. The only problem is that the
focal length is so long that the I have to look around the shadow of the
secondary. Sometime if I get it just right I do not see it. Meade says
anything over a 26mm will have this problem but that is not completely
true because my Meade 32mm 2" barrel erfle I bought in the early 1980's
does not have the problem with the shadow of the central obstruction.
However, the image is not as good as the 55mm University Plossel.

Meade has a Series 4000 wide angle QX 36mm eyepiece. The regular series
4000 that comes with it, the Super Plossel 26mm 1.25" barrel does not
have as good an image all the way across the field as the University
55mm. Does anyone know if the QX would be a better eyepiece than the
26mm that comes with the telescope? Meade also has a Series 5000 Ultra
Premium 40mm 2" barrel eyepiece, but I am not inclined to pay $400 for
it unless the image would really be super, but I feel the image in the
University 55mm is so good (ignoring the shadow of the secondary) that I
feel it would be hard for anything to beat it. I only paid $70 or $80
for it new, probably about 5-10 years ago.
Stan