[AZ-Observing] Re: 747/Shuttle Ferry Flyby Visibility

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <saguaroastro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:06:21 -0700

Tom,

Not sure how to find the departure time. As you indicated, that may be need
to know for security reasons. This much I'd wager on: It most likely will
not fly over Phoenix.  The Low altitude preferred rout to IAH would most
likely take it to Blythe, east to about KOFA and then SE to Gila Bend east
to Stanfield/Casa Grand area and then se to San Simon and onward to El Paso
Into Houston. I wouldn't bet the rent on that but that would be my guess
based on the IFR Charts I Have. At 10,000 it would also be limited to 250
KTS (288 mph). I would think you'd be able to see both vehicle pretty well
without Binos (Although they'd sure help) from 10,000'. A 747 ca reach that
altitude in about 5 minutes. Which would put the BA flight at that height
within City limits, so it's not unreasonable for me to guess the outbound
flights I've see over my head are at or above 10,000', and I could make it
out pretty well.

Hope I don't start a pilgrimage to Gila Bend (especially if I'm wrong ;))

Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix, Arizona