[AZ-Observing] 747/Shuttle Ferry Flyby Visibility

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:40:01 -0400

The Orbiter atop the 747-200 will likely be leaving Edwards AFB for Florida
tomorrow.  I have learned that they fly at the low altitude of 10,000 feet, and
make one or two stops along the way.  In the past, they have re-fueled in
Houston.  The Great Circle from Edwards to Houston passes pretty nearly
overhead in Phoenix!  I wonder if they'll let Joe Public know when it takes off
or where it's going, or if the post-9/11 fears are too great.

In any event, if it does fly near your home, here are some basic trig
calculations giving its altitude above the horizon and angular size.  Even at
only 2', that's large enough to show the two separate craft in 10x binoculars.

Miles downrange     Altitude (deg.)     Angular size (')

        0             90 (zenith)             35
       10                  11                  7
       20                   6                  3
       30                   4                  2

Does anybody have any inside scoop on how to find out when it takes off?

Tom