[AZ-Observing] Robert McCall at SAC Meeting, 8/19

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:06:14 -0400

Please join with the Saguaro Astronomy Club in hosting famed space artist
Robert McCall on Friday August 19th 7:30 p.m. at the Dorrance Planetarium in
the Arizona Science Center (free admission)

7th _Street_ to Washington. West one block on Washington to 5th Street. Right
on 5th Street to enter the Science Center's parking garage. There are arrow
directions within the garage to point you to the Science Center. There is
usually a $1-$2 parking fee with validation.  Please bring in your parking card
for validation. Metered parking in downtown Phoenix is free after 5:00 p.m.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please also join us for a dinner beforehand.  We will be meeting at:
Friday's Front Row Sports Grill @ promptly 5:30 p.m.  It is located in the Bank
One Ball Park. Enter the Ballpark from the Jefferson Street side (approximately
5th Street) where an elevator will take you up to the restaurant.  You'll see
when you get there, it's very easy. You may want to go ahead and park at the
Science Center and walk the short 1.5 blocks to the restaurant. Just walk South
on 5th Street and you will bump into it.  Everything is put onto one check, so
please bring cash in various denominations for ease in settling the bill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. McCall will also be more than happy to autograph any items you may have and
will also offer some reproductions of his works for sale.  They will vary in
price between $25 and $60 so if you want to buy me anything, please bring cash
or checkbook.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert McCall, is a talented and well-known artist specializing in aviation and
space topics.  He lives with his wife in Paradise Valley, AZ.  He was
commissioned by NASA to document the Apollo program; created a huge mural in
the entrance hall of the National Aviation and Space Museum in Washington, DC;
and did the poster artwork for the Stanley Kubrick movie "2001- A Space
Odyssey".  He illustrated a book, "Our World In Space", with Isaac Asimov.  He
is also known for his illustrations of "floating cities" or space platforms.
There have been several projects involving negotiations for a local museum
featuring his works.  Some of his work can be seen locally at the Challenger
Space Center in Peoria, and at the Glendale Main Library.
Gene Lucas
(17250)
(Thanks Gene!)

Additionally Mr. McCall will be giving us the scoop on H.A.L. and to the
whereabouts of the Monolith.

Please call or email me if you have any questions about the directions, etc.

Respectfully,
Jennifer Polakis, VP
Saguaro Astronomy Club
(w) 602 378-2496