atw: Re: page numbering -- ockham's razor

  • From: Terry D <morgan4four@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:01:42 +1000 (EST)

Thanks Allan, Debbie and Michael for the comments.

I have used the page X of Y routine plenty of times,
but can't see a lot of merit in it. My biases probably
lie in how unstable it used to be. Remember page 1 of
1, page 2 of 2....?

Fair cop Debbie, it does let you know how much agony
left--I usually find I can give a fair estimate just
by the thickness of what's read to what's not. That's
often more reliable than numbers that were entered
manually or not updated correctly. And I see that way
too often.

As Michael comments, section numbering is also useful,
especially if documents are to be partially updated.
You can do a section at a time without the need to
reprint the whole thing. (I've never seen, and it
wouldn't make sense, to have total pages with that.)
My main gripe about section page numbering is that you
don't know if page 5-10 is 30 pages into the book or
200 pages. That's where the blocking of chapters with
staggered marker tabs printed to the very edge is
useful.

[dc]Because the stuff you write is really boring and
when I am half way through the document I want to know
how many more pages I have to slog through and can't
be bothered counting each one myself.   :P
[td]If you're halfway through, surely it's the same
amount of boredom all over again. (BTW, you've
obviously read too much of my boring writing and not
much from the ATO. They're not exactly renown for
their lively banter. I look forward to the uplifting
BAS and depreciation guides) :)

[ac]Because they send it to the printer, then wander
off and get coffee and a chat.  When they eventually
get to the printer, it's helpful if they know how many
pages they have to pick up off the floor or out of a
box.
[td]More often than not, it's running out of paper
that ruins my print jobs. :(

Cheers to you all,
Terry