atw: Re: page numbering -- ockham's razor

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:58:13 +1000 (EST)

Precisely Terry (D)

That is why, in technical manual documents, I always use
an end of document paragraph that has its own style name
(typically "EOD") which I get the TOC field to pick up.

That way, when one is using section breaks and chapter
numbering (always a good idea with Word, which throws in
random blanks after some section breaks) people get a
better idea of how vast a tome they are about to read.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

Quoting Terry D <morgan4four@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I forgot to mention my Ockham's Razor approach to this
> is to ask "Why do folk need to know how long a
> document is?" If the answer is so they know that they
> have the whole document (is there another reason?)
> then simply put an end of section marker (at the most
> appropriate places!!) and an end of document marker on
> the final page. Saves a lot of mucking around.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

Michael Granat
Write Ideas*
Carnegie, Victoria, Australia.
E-mail:         megranat@xxxxxxxx

*Trading As business #0828673K
Registered (1987) Corporate Affairs Victoria