atw: Re: empathy

  • From: Anne Casey <writan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:57:27 +1000

At 09:16 PM 23/08/2010, you wrote:
Rod, while you have every right to use someone else's work to make a point, plagiarism is a big no-no so I recommend you give recognition where due to avoid getting caught out by people like Anne.

People like Anne. Hmm. I've been working as a tech writer for nearly twenty five years, and been a member of this list since it started. I sent my first email in 1985, if anyone cares, and I've never been either a teacher or a librarian. I did run an acute care hospital once, though.

I've worked with or for several members of this list, and sent my CV to several more. I largely gave up posting to the list years ago; I occasionally email people privately, but I don't read the list from wherever I'm working, and by the time I get home, the question has usually been answered.

This time, however, it wasn't about writing - it was about equity. I cannot understand people who think that because things are fine for them, no more needs to be done for anyone else - whether it is broadband, roads, public transport, health access, housing or jobs. That's just plain selfishness. I don't believe in any gods, but I do believe that we have a responsibility to make at least a half-hearted attempt to make things reasonably fair for everyone. As a citizen of a country or member of a community or family, you have both rights and obligations as a part of that group. Without cooperation, we'd still be hanging out in the jungles, stealing food from each other.

And unlike some on this list, I understand the necessity for my taxes to improve broadband access for all people living in Australia, and even to build the occasional road for people who drive baby killers*.

Anne

* Baby killers - what my daughter the qualified paramedic calls those hulking great 4WD vehicles some people seem to think is required to drive their 1.7 children a short distance on bitumen roads to school.