atw: Re: empathy

  • From: Robert Levy <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:16:17 -0400

I can't believe I'm doing this, since I've only been on this list a tiny while,
I'm not even in Australia yet, and I'm certainly not ready to decide on the
issue. But a sense of fair play calls to me....

This is mostly not a matter of plagiarism and getting caught by "people like
Anne." It's mostly a matter of respecting the discussion and participants.

When you write a long email, I read it.

If you actually didn't write it, but copied it without even bothering to tweak
all the parts that don't relate to the topic at hand, then I feel duped and
treated poorly. And I relate entirely with "people like Anne" who would call
you out on it, because it's fairly annoying behavior.

It's not biggest deal in the world, but it really is worth pointing out.

I'm not commenting on the level of sarcasm and general nastiness that this
thread seems to have brought out. I'm only commenting on this one plagiarism
thing.

Thanks,

rwl