atw: Re: compiling reports

  • From: Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:41:52 +1000

For a simpler method of "compiling" the main report – this works only if the same team reports are required each time for the main report, use an INCLUDETEXT field for each team report (or use the bookmark option if bits and pieces of each team report need to go into different places in the main report – although bookmarks in user documents, i.e. the team reports, will be susceptible to breaking). Two notes about using this field – include the */ MERGEFORMAT option if you want to change the formatting / styles used in the team documents and preserve the changed formatting, and secondly any paths need to be specified using double and not single backslashes, for example:

{ INCLUDETEXT "D://Reports//Team Member 1 Report.docx" \* MERGEFORMAT }

Note that styles, change tracking, etc., etc. will be imported from the team document.

If there was an easy and simple way to correct / change formatting in Word, a lot of technical writers would probably be out of work. However, as a suggestion, get a template built for the team reports that uses a Form to either output into a database or which feeds directly into the main document. The main document would contain pre-formatted sections and use VBA to pull the Form field contents out of the database or directly from the team document. You may need to have someone (e.g. Suzy Davis, and I guess there are others on the list who might be interested in the work) build this for you.

Neil.

On 28/07/2011 4:29 PM, Susan Hunter wrote:
Word drives me nuts, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a program for me to use for compiling the final documents and managing formatting.
************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************