atw: Re: compiling reports

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:53:04 +1000

If you are using Word 2010, the solution is simple.

You control the master document, and cut and paste the text from all other
documents into it using either the unformatted or the merge with existing
styles, options. (For those not familiar with 2010, there are more
formatting options in 2010 that previous versions.) You can set your
preferred default formatting type when you do your first import.

If your writer has not used styles at all, bring it in as plain text, if
they have used styles with the correct names, bring it in so that your
styles of the same name over-rule the formatting of the source document
styles.

You will still have to go through and re-apply styles to any text that has
no style or an incorrect style, but there is no possible way around that.

Christine