atw: Re: Word template - conversion from 97 to 2000 problem

  • From: Andrea Tappe <Andrea.Tappe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:11:38 +1100

I had an 'interesting' episode last year, when I tried to put all the office
forms into a standard template (the idea was that the macros attached to the
template would automatically complete parts of the form, and it would all be
very easy and efficient. Silly me!).
I created the template in Word 2000. When it was run on an XP machine, XP
automatically converted it. 'Converting' the template involved changing all
the file references in the template to point to the C drive, or the My
Documents folder. There were a couple of other things it did too - don't
recall the exact details offhand. In the end, I had to create 2000 and XP
versions of the template, and install them on everyone's machine.

So - hint list:

- open the macro in VB on a 2000 machine
- check that file references are still correct
- print the VB window
- check it against the macro on a 1997 machine: which parts of the code have
changed? What to? If any changes in the 2000 version, change them back to
the 1997 code (on the 2000 machine) and see if it fixes the problems.

Best of luck!

Regards, Andrea