atw: Re: Which version of Office to use with WIndows XP

  • From: "HALL Bill" <Bill.HALL@xxxxxxxxx>(by way of Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>)
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:21:26 +1100

(From Bill Hall, redirected to the list at his request.)

My experiences with WordStar and WordPerfect parallel Michael's.

My favourite word processor was (and in some ways still is) the CP/M
version of WordStar (by MicroPro). As a touch typist, I found its
ergonomically sensible keystrokes for functions and formats meant I
never had to take my hands off the keyboard. Robert Sawyer -
http://www.sfwriter.com/wordstar.htm - explains why the pre-Windows
WordStar is still the best creative authoring environment of any word
processer yet invented.

In 1985, when I was documenting new software in a Concurrent CP/M
environment, I ran 3 different applications (e.g., WordStar, the
application being documented, and various utilities) concurrently on a
Z80 chip set with 380 K of memory. Then we went broke because DOS
couldn't support our multi-user, multi-access software and none of our
potential clients would consider a CP/M operating environment in place
of Billy Gates' feeble DOS rip-off.... Is it any wonder I hate MS
products.

MicroPro lost the plot when they tried to build a WYSIWYG GUI for
WordStar, and totally destroyed their ergonomics in the process.

With its automatic paragraph numbering schemes, macros and an excellent
merge printing control language, WordPerfect was a major increase in
functionality over WordStar. However, they also stuffed up the
ergonomics of composing. Anything in MS Windows is even worse for touch
typists. We just aren't equipped with three hands.

Both WordStar and WordPerfect had reveal code functions that allowed you
to see everything applied - even the dreaded [unknown code] in
WordPerfect that identified the start of a file corruption. By finding
and deleting the [unknown code] you could sometimes restore an otherwise
broken file. Maggies also sometimes worked for corrupted WordPerfect
files when you couldn't see (or fix) the source of an error. Of course,
when WP tried to move to a Windows environment there were many more
problems.

WordStar and WordPerfect could provide a reveal codes function because
they used markup codes around the affected text, and only ever held one
version of the markup in the file at any one time. It is probably
mathematically impossible for Microsoft to give you an equivalent to
WordPerfect's Reveal Codes function because its formatting is computed
independently from text and is based on pointers from complex (and often
fallible) formatting tables hidden in section breaks and under the
paragraph mark at the end of the whole file. One of the reasons Word so
often goes belly up is that old versions of these tables are not
normally flushed (?I presume they are kept to support unlimited undo?),
which is why you can end up with a 5 MB file containing only 50 K of
ASCII text. Maggie's process gets rid of old formatting tables by only
importing currently active formatting along with the visible text.

The sooner we move to an XML standard for all word processing the
happier I'll be. We will no longer be tied to one proprietary system by
network externality (where we have to use the same systems our clients
do so we can readily exchange information with them). At least with XML
there can again be open competition between application providers.

Regards,

Bill Hall
Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering