atw: Re: Which version of Office to use with WIndows XP

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <Allan.Charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:07:12 +1100

Peter Fagan said:

> I am surprised to hear Margaret (P), Allan (C) and
> Kevin (W) prefer Word 97, which I found to be
> buggy and unstable.

Maybe we use different features.  I acknowledge that Word 2000 is
considered stable, but Word 97 doesn't let me down.  My current employer
is a NSW Government Department that still uses Word 97 as its default
word processor.
> He emphasised the importance Bill Gates placed on having
> Word supplant WordPerfect.

True, Bill Gates was determined to have Word supplant Word Perfect.
One of the reasons was the huge following that WP had in the legal
profession.  That's a *lot* of word processor licences, and a massive,
rusted-on user base.  Naturally, Gates wanted them for Microsoft and he
was prepared to make a special effort to get them.

Does anyone know if WP is still popular in the legal profession?

Allan

confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.