atw: Re: Which version of Office to use with WIndows XP

  • From: "Peter Fagan" <peterf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austechwriter (post)" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:36:15 +1100

I agree with Michael (G), Steve (H) and Stuart (B) that Word
2000 (9) is the "best of a bad bunch". I am surprised to
hear Margaret (P), Allan (C) and Kevin (W) prefer Word 97,
which I found to be buggy and unstable.

Naomi (K) is correct, Alt+F9 (view Field codes) is not the
Word equivalent of WordPerfect's Reveal Codes. Word's
equivalent is, to quote the Help:

View format settings for a paragraph

1. On the Help menu, click What's This?
2. When the pointer becomes a question mark, click the text
you want to check.
3. When you finish checking your text, press ESC.

A little used feature, these days, methinks. I remember it
from the WordPerfect to Word conversion days, but haven't
used it in years. Hence my visit to the Help, where entering
"reveal codes" in the Answer Wizard brought up the topic.
That the Wizard did so is evidence that this feature was
almost certainly included as a sop to Word Perfect users.

Interestingly, legacy items from the Word conquest of
WordPerfect can still be found in the Word interface. For
example Tools - Options - General tab has these two check
boxes:

* Help for WordPerfect users
* Navigation keys for WordPerfect users

Also at Tools - Options, the Compatibility tab has check
boxes for:

* Do full justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows
* Set the width of a space like WordPerfect 5.x
* Suppress extra line spacing like WordPerfect 5.x

I read an article on the web by one of the developers of the
first editions of Word for Windows. He emphasised the
importance Bill Gates placed on having Word supplant
WordPerfect. Having the dominant word processor was seen as
vital to the success of the Windows OS.

According to this article, one aspect that Gates understood
to be critical was the ability of Word's file filters to
successfully import and convert WordPerfect documents.
Apparently Gates took a personal interest in the development
progress of this aspect of the product.

Peter Fagan
IntraDoc Pty Ltd