atw: Re: Which version of Office to use with WIndows XP

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:55:03 +0800

> ...and yes, indeed, Warren L, Word has nothing to match the power and
> fluidity of the WordPerfect reveal codes system.  (More a system of
> operation than just a feature.)

I think this is one of those cases where what you like depends
on where you came in. I went from MS Word for DOS, to
WordPerfect to Word for Windows, and then to Infinity... and
Beyond!

I always thought Reveal Codes was only useful in that it helped
you fix problems caused by being forced to deal with codes
in the first place.

I didn't ask for those inappropriate/incorrectly nested codes to
be put there in the first place. It was the friendly programmers
from the WordPerfect Corporation who chose to allow them there!

I liked WordPerfect on the whole, but I still think Reveal Codes
was the vendor's way of letting me debug or work around
their coding errors.

In any case, these days formatting and structure should flow
from your DTD/CSS/templates/you name it. Manually groping
around in the underlying markup like a drunken farmer milking
a goat in the dark... it's just so *twentieth century* :^)

---
Stuart "powered by vi" Burnfield
Information Developer
Australian Programming Centre