atw: Re: SEC: UNCLASS Frameworks

  • From: "SUNTER Bede" <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:37:56 +1000

Howard,

Let me start by saying: I know how you feel.
Myself, I take issue with 'weak' words, especially weak verbs like
'identify' and 'address'.
"At the meeting, a number of issues were identified and addressed" -- we
didn't actually do anything but we sure addressed those issues we
identified ...

Now here's the problem: it's all very well to pet-hate the words, but as
an editor, what are you going to do about them?

There seems to be no substitute for the word 'framework' in its
bureaucratic context. It means (AFAICS) a loose amalgamation of
policies, procedures, projects and people that will attempt to blunder
its way, more or less systematically, through a maze of red tape, petty
tyrannies and funding cuts. If you, as a fully qualified and righteous
TC can't think of a better word than 'framework' then can you reasonably
expect others to? If you can, then you are entitled, nay, honour-bound,
to provide it to your audience.

You were on the right track with the question you put in your post:
'what on earth is this sentence really *about*?'
As a professional writer, that's the question you answer on behalf of
your readers.