atw: Re: Preferred font for coporate staff manuals

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:59:55 +1100

Peter and Michael,
I know that I am entering a dangerous area here, but I would like to add to
this debate.

In geological reports, you see references such as Brown (1995) and sometimes
Green (pers comm).

The pers comm means personal communication, and it is accepted as valid,
certainly in Australia.  It means that you spoke to the person with the
relevant knowledge and got some comments, opinions and maybe anecdotes from
them.

Geology is an inexact and constantly evolving science and there may not be a
study that relates to your situation and there isn't the time to do "further
testing in other environments" even if that "would be worth miles more than
all the anecdotes", so you may rely on a pers comm.

In the early days of the internet there were very few studies to rely on.
Jakob Nielsen carried as much weight as Sandy Green up on the fifth floor.
There was a lot of pers comms.

I have had a few pers comms with Michael over the years and would happly
quote his opinion, especially if it related to my situation rather than a
similar but not the same situation that had been studied and written up.

Bob T

Bob Trussler
Phone  0418 661 462