atw: Re: Online form advice

  • From: bloss oliver-skuse <ivegotyourpuppy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:45:17 +1000

Thanks, Mark - that is a big help.

I was thinking of a range of different types of devices (especially PCs and
tablets), but it may not be totally essential. Ideally we would make it as easy
as possible for the applicants to use it on whatever device they find easiest,
but if we can get all/most of the other functionality sorted but are limited to
PCs it's a small enough sacrifice. (Especially given that they are, in the most
part, reluctant adopters of technology.)

I'll explore the options you've suggested.

Thanks,

Bloss

Subject: atw: Re: Online form advice
From: mkofler@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:30:17 +1000
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bloss

Not sure if you mean different types of devices PCs, tablets  smart phones or
just be able to distribute on many devices of same type.
However you could consider using the following:
There seem to be many tools for creating web forms. A quick search will find
many.

An Outlook form (lots of info on web for that)

VBA (Visual basic for applications) available with all versions of MS Office.
You can create a custom form with the logic you need to do all the things you
need.

However you won't be able to deploy on different types of devices as it will be
tied to MS Office apps.

A Visual basic application which you can distribute to your users.

Advanced customization of MS Office apps - creating custom task panes - using
Visual Studio Tools

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards Mark Kofler

On 14/05/2013, at 9:57 AM, bloss oliver-skuse <ivegotyourpuppy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi austechies,

I am hoping for a bit of advice about creating forms using fairly basic tools.

I need to create an application form as part of a pilot program. After the
pilot program the organisation will invest in setting up a proper online
process (using a similar setup to their recruitment portal). However, I need a
bit of a cheap and cheerful (or is it quick and dirty?) solution at the moment
because timing has been changed dramatically and suddenly this needs to be
rushed.

The form will be submitted electronically and would ideally:

 Allow me to use custom logics to build in different response streams. (I would
like to be able to ask a different set of questions depending on applicants’
response to a couple of key questions. The trick here is that the membership
type will be different depending on some of the responses but this is only an
administrative distinction on our end and they do not get to choose which
membership type they apply for, so we would not want to make the application
pathway too obvious for each membership type)

Allow multiple users to work on the same application form (i.e. admin staff may
need to complete the bulk of the form on behalf of the applicants, and then
individual applicants would need to complete the rest of their forms
themselves)

Be easy to save (both allowing the applicant to save progress while completing
the form and allowing our admin to save each individual response on file)

Be suitable for completion on a range of devices

Be largely idiot-proof (on our end and applicants’ – so forms need to be easy
to retrieve and data easy enough to copy into our database, and they need to be
easy enough for people with relatively low computer literacy to complete and
submit)

Be secure.

I am seeing what I can do with Adobe FormsCentral, Survey Monkey, Acrobat Pro
and MS Word. Does anyone on the list have any suggestions, tips or comments?

Cheers,
Bloss