atw: Re: OT: Microsoft and usability

  • From: margp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:12:08 +1000 (EST)

Of course, the notion that Microsoft is inherently evil could grow out of
bitter experience, rather than just conventional wisdom.

By way of example, I cite the case of my teenage son (highly computer/IT
literate, but not usually a big word user).
The other night he was trying to convert a word document to pdf using pdfmaker
keeping the bookmark/TOC levels intact (instead of having the indentation of
level 1 headings randomly change half way through the document).

In frustration, he'd created a test document to try to work out why it kept
doing what it was doing, which made no intuitive sense to him at all.

He was unconsciously typing "Word Sucks" as his preferred text as he added
headings and text to the test document...

I suppose it could be a genetic thing, but more likely ockhams razor applies,
and word just sucks.

Margaret