atw: Re: Microsoft and usability

  • From: Craig Hadden <craig_john_hadden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atw <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:34:53 +1000 (EST)

Allan wrote:
> [Microsoft] go to some trouble to create icons for
> the key applications, and then they change the darn
> things in just about every release.

That hadn't struck me as a problem, but I see what you
mean.

> The whole point of icons is fast,
> effortless recognition.

I absolutely agree.

Mind you, once again I think it's _far_ from just a
Microsoft problem.

I can't think of any similar software whose icon stays
the same from one version to the next. (For instance,
consider FrameMaker, Acrobat, Firefox, Thunderbird,
WinZip, Dreamweaver, RoboHelp...)

I think it's part of the whole "upgrade mania" thing
-- software companies emphasise that their products
change over time (and therefore users "need" to
upgrade) by giving them a new look and a new version
number (or slightly different name, the current trend
being XP/MX/CS/yawn).

I assume that even Mac users suffer from a very
similar problem when it comes to changes to icons (and
the UI in general) over time.

Regards,
Craig

===== My e-mail address is: