atw: Re: Enough of this OT stuff!

  • From: Nick Shears <nshears@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 17:19:03 -0700

Hear, hear, Howard.

Nick

From: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Howard Silcock
Sent: Wednesday, 22 May 2013 9:36 AM
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: atw: Enough of this OT stuff!

Can we restore some sanity to this list? There's been a tradition of providing
some leeway to people who veera bit off topic now and then, particularly if
they warn us by putting OT in the subject line. But I don't think this
tolerance should extend to providing people with a platform for their own
viewpoint on subjects that have nothing to do with the purpose of this list. I
don't agree with Christine that it's OK for us to discuss whatever we like
provided we use the OT tag. The list has a stated purpose and people subscribe
expecting to discuss topics relating to that purpose.
Why should we provide a platform for Rod or anyone else to bombard us with his
or her political views? He or she could set up his or her own list instead of
using us as a captive audience.
I'm not trying to suppress you, Rod - you're just in the wrong place.

Howard