atw: Re: A couple of Word bits

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:57:36 +1000 (EST)

Hi Rudi (Clarke).

The Insert > Date and Time menu option (Alt+I, T also displays the Date and
Time
dialog) with its various options should do the trick, then either press Enter
or
click OK.

As for the page break before the heading style, Format > Paragraph (Alt+O, P)
Line and Page Breaks (tab) and deselect the page break before option, then
either press Enter or click OK.

If you want to make sure that this changes the style throughout the document,
make sure that the formatting tool bar is visible (right-click over the tool
bars area and select Formatting to display it, if not).  Now select the
paragraph of the style you'd like to update, press Ctrl+Shift+S to select the
style name item in the tool bar, press enter.  The Modify stle dialog displays.

Select Update the style to reflect recent changes?, then either press Enter or
click OK.

To save that style change down to the template level on which your document is
based, so that new and existing documents use it too, Format > Style (Alt+O, S)
> Modify (Alt+M) > Add to Template (Alt+A) Enter, Enter.

Then press Ctrl+S to save and Word will ask if you'd like to save the changes
the document template.  Select OK for yes.

Hope that helps.

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

Quoting rudi.clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>  To all you Word gurus, please help with a couple of qu= estions from a
> BA
> who dabbles in TW: I re= call I used to use automatic text of "date last
> saved" in footers at prev= ious sites, I have looked everywhere I can
> think
> of, I can find "date cre= ated" and an automatic date which comes up on
> the
> document as date p= rinted, but no date saved.   I think I ha= ve found
> bug(surprize!) - occasionally, when there is a heading style,=
> =20immediatelypreceded by a page break, the heading appears twice in
> the=
> =20TOC. This can be fixed by putting a blank line before the heading,
> but=
> =20this spoils the appearance slightly.
> Word is 2000 S= P3, any suggestions gratefully accepted (clean ones
> anyway!)Th= anks in advance Rudi Clarke
> This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared
> =
> by=20 MailMarshal -=20 For more information please visit =20 =20
> www.marshalsoftware.com[0]=20
> with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field.
>
> To search the austechwriter archives, go to
> www.freelist.org/archives/austechwriter

> austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael Granat
Write Ideas*
Carnegie, Victoria, Australia.
E-mail:         megranat@xxxxxxxx
Mobile Phone:   0419 502 378

*Trading As business #0828673K
Registered (1987) Corporate Affairs Victoria

Plain English Technical Communication.
Advertising Copywriting.
Business Writing.

This E-mail and any attachments have been virus checked with either the latest
available version of CA-Vet or Trend Micro OfficeScan.  For your own peace of
mind, please check this again with your own antivirus software before opening
any file attachments.

Any and all copyright, proprietary, registered and trademarked names used in
this E-mail and its file attachments are recognized as remaining the property
of
their rightful owners.

E&OE - Errors & Omissions Excepted