[austechwriter] Re: W2K techie help

  • From: "Anil Subramanya" <anil.subramanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:19:15 +0800

I think jumping to the conclusion that it is THE virus of the day is too
hasty.

I haven't seen any record of such behaviour attributed to the "blaster"
virus - or any other for that matter.

Please open your event viewer and see what is reported there...you could
also check your Dr. Watson logs.

The Blaster virus does something very dissimilar - the moment you try
connecting to the internet it comes up with a message which reads something
like "NT Authority shutting your computer down" and then reboots your
machine...you can't actually stay connected!

If you have the Blaster virus it should show up as MSBlast.exe in your task
manager->Processess

There is a patch on the MS website that should fix this problem, should it
be related to the virus:

http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C8B8A846-F541-4C15-8C9F
-220354449117&displaylang=en

HTH