[austechwriter] Re: W2K techie help

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:58:29 +1000 (EST)

Dear Geoff,

Happy to help.

The trick is to always dial-up to get the latest anti-virus signature file
BEFORE you get your E-mail.  (Dial up using the Norton Antivirua LiveUpdate
tool
or the Vet Autodownload one, or the like.)

Plus run Sygate Personal Firewall (freeware and fabulous) from <http://www.
sygate.com/> and the Lavasoft Ad Aware spyware eliminator (personal freeware
version) from <http://www.lavasoft.de/>, the latter of which detected 46
malignant spyware programs on my folks\' PC the other night, which were eating
their dialup bandwidth and stealing their personal information, sending it
through the back door to overseas marketing companies, so that they can target
Spam to them.

When I evaluated Ad Aware (with permission of course) at the site I am at, it
even got rid of 17 spyware programs on my work PC and 32 on my boss\'s one.  I
recommend that you download it, start it, immediately update its spyware
signature file, close down all other apps and scan your PC.  You will be
horrified what MSIE lets in and what many seemingly harmless applications
install (Read those software licence agreements!) to steal private information
including browsing habits, credit card information and passwords.

I\'d bet that there at least 20 spyware programs lurking on most people\'s PCs
as
we speak.

Cheers,

Michael Granat