[austechwriter] Security & privacy - personal firewall and spyware eliminator

  • From: "Peter Fagan" <peterf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:59:09 +1000

Michael Grant wrote:

"...run Sygate Personal Firewall (freeware and fabulous) from
<http://www.sygate.com/>...

...and the Lavasoft Ad Aware spyware eliminator (personal freeware
version) from <http://www.lavasoft.de/>, the latter of which detected 46
malignant spyware programs on my folks' PC...I'd bet that there at least
20 spyware programs lurking on most people's PCs as we speak.

Cheers,

Michael Granat"

Thanks for these suggestions Michael.

I followed your recommendations, although I installed Kerio Personal
Firewall - <http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html> which was also
recommended to me.

As a dial-up user who spends very little time on the net at home, I was
amazed at the number of uninvited visitors my firewall is reporting. And,
true to your prediction, Ad Aware detected 32 data mining cookies and 3
suspicious Registry keys on its first scan of my PC.

For those not already up to speed on this, I would recommend following
Michael's advice. The exercise has been valuable from the security and
privacy point of view and also very interesting.

Peter Fagan