[austechwriter] Well, I didn't know all of that! (Languages #1)

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:43:25 +1000 (EST)

From: Robb: German English Words at <http://germanenglishwords.com/>

Yiddish is a High German language written in Hebrew characters that is spoken
by
Jews and descendants of Jews of central and eastern European origin. It's
grammar and much of its vocabulary are Germanic, but it has also borrowed many
words from other languages such as Hebrew and Slavic. Yiddish became a separate
language between the 9th and 12th centuries, so one cannot say it developed
from
Modern German, but rather it arose about the same time Old High German gave way
to Middle High German. In other words Yiddish is a Germanic language in its own
right just as for example German, English, Dutch and Swedish are. The word
Yiddish comes from the Yiddish word yidish, which is short for yidish daytsh
"Jewish German" [< Middle High German jüdisch diutsch "Jewish German"].

...and I always thought it was a dialect or a patois, not a language in its own
right.
<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=dialect>
<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=patois>

Regards,