[austechwriter] Re: Security & privacy - personal firewall and spyware eliminator

  • From: "HALL Bill" <bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:20:22 +1000 (EST)

=46rom Michael Granat:

"...run Sygate Personal Firewall (freeware and fabulous) from
<http://www.sygate.com/>...

...and the Lavasoft Ad Aware spyware eliminator (personal freeware
version) from <http://www.lavasoft.de/>, the latter of which detected 46
malignant spyware programs on my folks' PC...I'd bet that there at least
20 spyware programs lurking on most people's PCs as we speak.

--------

The CDs distributed with the August APC have a couple of eliminators (which=
 may be either or both of the above - the CD is at home). I installed these=
 on my system at home and eliminated around 150 questionable files and prog=
rams. Most appeared to be associated with Gator , which I downloaded at som=
e time in the past and then uninstalled (I thought!). Some others seemed to=
 be associated with New York Times, which I read on line.

Apparently many anti-virus programs do not consider such cr*p to be dangero=
us, so I would guess this is a problem that EVERYONE with a computer should=
 attend to. For example, in the last couple of weeks, we have also found th=
at virtually all of our corporate workstations are infected with such wares=
 - which are now being actively taken care of.

You have been warned!

Bill Hall