[audacity4blind] Re: newbie: how do I remove spurious noise

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:41:02 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Don,
I'm presuming that you've used the brackets to specify the start and end of a
selected time range, and you now want to make small adjustments to them?

The keystrokes you've been trying won't work. If there's a selected time range
and you press left arrow, then this deselects the selection and moves the
cursor to where the start of the selection was. Pressing left arrow some more
then moves the cursor to the left. Similar things with right arrow - selection
deselected, cursor moves the end of where the selection was, and then moves the
cursor to the right.
If there's a selected time range and you press comma or period, then the
selection is deselected, the cursor moves to the start of where the selection
was, and then the keystrokes move the cursor as normal.

You can use the following keystrokes
If you press Shift + Left Arrow or Shift + Right Arrow this extends the
selection by a small amount on either the left or right hand end of the
selection respectively.
If you press Ctrl + Shift + Left Arrow or Ctrl + Shift + Right Arrow this
contracts the selection by a small amount on either the left or right hand end
of the selection respectively.
However, as Scott has mentioned, the amount moved depends on the zoom level,
and blind users can't see what's going on, so this isn't very satisfactory.

However, you can use the selection start and selection end/length controls on
the selection bar. I think it's worth investing a little time in getting to
know how to use these controls. They're described in the selection bar section
of the Jaws guide, but the following are some notes I posted in a message a few
weeks ago, which give a quick introduction:

1. If the current focus is the tracks, then you can get to the selection bar by
pressing ctrl+f6, and when you want to return to the tracks press ctrl+f6 twice.
2. You can move around the controls on the selection bar by pressing tab.
3. There's a start selection control and selection control for either the end
or the length of the selection depending on the setting of the pair of
end/length radio buttons.
4. You'll want to have the format of the selection controls set to the hh:mm:ss
+ milliseconds format, and you can set this by using the context menu of either
the start selection or the end/length selection controls. Once this has be set,
the setting will  remain that unless you change it again, so you'll probably
only have to do this once.
5. Set the end/length radio buttons to end, because you want to adjust
the start and end of the selection independently. (If it's set to length, then
if you change the selection start, then the end will move, because the length
has remained unchanged).
6. You can now make ajustments using the selection start and selection end
controls. So for example if you're in the selection start control. You can
quickly move to the tenths of seconds digit by pressing end, and then left
arrrow twice. You can then use up and down arrows to move the selection start
tenths of a second to the right or left respectively. Want to move by larger
increments? Simply press left arrow to move to the seconds digit, and use up
and down arrows again. Similarly, to move by smaller increments, move to the
hundredths of seconds digit. While the focus is in one of these controls you
can use all the normal playback commands to listen to your changes.

best wishes,
David.