[audacity4blind] Re: Noise removal difficulties

  • From: Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 16:40:03 +0930

At Robbie: I checked the manual before attempting it to see what I had to do. I
made sure I got a noise profile, but even so, it still turned down both the
noise and my voice. It's a noticeable hum that sounds just a bit like an
amplifier that isn't plugged into anything, but not quite as grating. I do have
a speaker system that's both not plugged into my computer and turned off at the
switch on the device itself, but not unplugged from the power-board behind my
computer. Could that be it?

At Cuong: I don't have an ipod, so I can't listen to that podcast. Thanks for
taking the time to help me out, though.
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 13:50:09 +0700
From: dangmanhcuong@xxxxxxxxx
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Noise removal difficulties

    Hi

    You can listen to this podcast to know how the noise removal word.
    This isn't podcast for blind user, but I think you could understand
    by listening to the demo. This also have some tips to reduce noise
    before recording.

    On 1/7/2014 1:44 PM, Robbie wrote:

        Hi
            Sharni!
        To use Noise Removal you must first select a
            fraction of the track containing only the noise you want to
            remove. Then call Noise Removal and press g for Get Noise
            Profile. Only then should you select the whole track and
            apply the effect. The first control, Noise Reduction dB, is
            the value by which the target noise is reduced. Increasing
            that value may produce better results up to a point.
        Can you describe the noise you’re getting? Is
            it a hum or a buzz or more of a hiss? If it’s a hum, try
            shutting everything down that’s anywhere near your computer.
            A phone or an amp or a badly insulated cable may produce a
            hum. Sometimes it can also help to just use a different
            socket.

        Good luck! Robbie