[audacity4blind] Listening To Audio Device On PC Prior To Recording

  • From: "Pete De Vasto" <pdevasto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:00:42 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Audacity and am looking forward to transferring quite a
bit of material from cassette and reel-to-reel tapes to my PC.  The beta
version I have is working quite nicely with JAWS, but there's one thing I
can't figure out how to do:  Both of my tape units don't have earphone
jacks, only line-out, so I'd like to preview what's on the tape before
starting to record.  Problem is I can't figure a way to do this on my Dell
Dimension 510, the only way I can hear sound is to go into record, then when
done remove the track and start over.  I do have an old ThinkPad laptop, and
on that machine I can in fact hear what's on the tapes through that
computer's speakers, but I really would like to do the same thing using my
Dell which is more powerful and which is where I eventually want to store my
recordings.  I realize this might be slightly off-topic, so apologies in
advance if it is, but does anyone know how I might be able to configure my
Dell PC so I can hear my tapes through the speakers before I start
recording?

many thanks in advance for any help!

Pete De Vasto