[audacity4blind] Re: Keyboard commands do not work

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 07:18:41 -0600

audacity doesn't allow you to hear where the markers are set by issuing
commands that play a few seconds of the file from where the markers are
set forward.  Mp3 Direct Cut has such commands so after you set the
markers, you can hear both locations, there is a command to play from the
location of the start marker forward and a command to play from the end
marker forward.  Also, you can move the markers to the left or right by
tiny increments, perhaps as little as a sixteenth or an eighth of a second
by pressing keys that move each marker forward and backward.  In other
words, if you want to move the left marker forward or back, you can use
one key to move it forward and another to move it back.  The right marker
has two keys that do the same thing.  So after you set the markers, you
can move them by tiny increments to set them precisely.  You can move them
by larger amounts by repeatedly pressing these keys or by just holding
down one of the keys so the repeat key function in Windows will move the
marker.

Also, for some reason, it appears you can't move markers until a file has
been exported, then opened again.  I don't know what happens if you save a
file in the proprietary Audacity format and then open it again but if you
record something and try to move the markers, you can't.  If you export
the file as a wave file or some other format, then open it again after
closing and reopening audacity, you can move the markers.  this may be a
real waste of time and a real annoyance when working with long recordings.

Gene