[audacity4blind] Re: Keyboard commands do not work

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:29:23 -0600

thanks for your explanation. I may experiment with the start and end
settings and movement interface.

It appears from your comments that editing is considerably more intuitive
for sighted users and requires considerably less learning.  the methods
you describe require, in my view, too much learning for the casual blind
user and I also find the idea of using the up and down arrows for what is
left and right movement through a file to be counterintuitive and
annoying.  Also, it is inconsistent.  You use the left and right arrow
keys to move the cursor, as expected, when moving in the track view, but
the up and down arrows for movement in the start and end interface you
described.  It may be necessary to use these keys because of the structure
of the interface but I still find it an annoying idea, from the standpoint
of not having used the interface before.  I'm not saying that blind users
can't get used to this and perhaps rather easily but I consider it one
more annoyance for the casual blind user.

I believe that an interface such as is available in Mp3 Direct Cut should
be added to make the program easy to use for editing by a casual blind
user who doesn't want to do the learning required to edit using the
current interface.  It just shouldn't be that convoluted to do simple
editing.  this isn't an accessibility issue, it's a question of ease of
use and convenience for the casual blind user. Also, those who have
previously used Gold Wave and/or Mp3 Direct Cut might be more likely to
try audacity if such provisions were made.

Gene