[audacity4blind] Re: How works "Find zero crossings"

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:15:37 +0100

| From Arne <waschmasche@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:19:00 +0200
| Subject: How works "Find zero crossings"
> thanks for the link which was just the information I had. OK, I did not
> realize it applies to selections, but still I do not find answers for my
> question. To me, it looks a bit like the command tries to find a
> possible zero crossing according to average volume for both edges so
> that one could not - for example - only find a crossing for one edge.
> However, by now it worked by listening carefully and changing the
> selections to hear no clicks.

As the Manual says:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Edit_Menu#zero

it aims to find the crossings where the average amplitude of samples
in the vicinity is lowest.

Definitely it does not look for the crossing at only one edge of the
selection. If you only want to find the zero crossing of the start or end
of the selection, you can use Edit > Move Cursor > to Selection Start
(or ...End), but you will then lose that selection unless you have already
saved it with Edit > Region Save.

Pressing z repeatedly has no effect - the first instance of z does the
job.

If you have a test case *in 1.3.13 or 1.3.14 alpha* where z produces
a click until you change the selection manually, please attach a small
file like MP3 or OGG that demonstrates the problem, stating where
the original selection should be placed. I can't find what the
attachment size limit for the list is (if any), so just try it.

Thanks

Gale