[audacity4blind] Re: Distorted Recording

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:47:25 -0500

Try leaving the sockets on.  It is very unlikely you will get a hum.  You
are very likely doing completely unnecessary tinkering for no benefit.

It makes no difference if you are recording or chatting.  If you use  the
same source settings, you will pick up the same audio both ways.  You may
be using different source settings but your statement is not correct.  the
same source settings result in the same audio, regardless of whether you
are using a recording program, a chat program, or any other audio
transmitting program.

As far as the original problem is concerned, in new versions of Audacity,
the program automatically selects a source when it is installed.  It
should not do this.  It should leave the source set to what it was
previously.  Look at the source settings in audacity and make sure the
settings are set to what you want them to be.  You may be in a situation
where a chat program is setting the source to the correct setting and
audacity is changing the source to an incorrect setting.  this change may
be occurring automatically every time you use the program.

the designers of Audacity should face strong criticism about how Audacity
automatically decides what source settings to use.  This is unacceptable
behavior.  If you need information about how to look at and change source
settings in Audacity, ask here.

Gene