[audacity4blind] Re: Adjustment Of Playback Speed Slider

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:00:42 +0100

| From "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
| Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:53:07 -0600
| Subject: Adjustment Of Playback Speed Slider
> Don't work with the slider.  Open the effects menu, open the change speed
> dialog, type a number in the edit field, then either change the speed or
> preview the effect.  You must select the material you want to change.  If
> you want to change an entire file, use control a.  This must be done before
> doing anything in the change speed dialog.  Often, typing a number like 3,
> for 3 percent or 5 for five percent will provide desired results.  You will
> have to experiment but I find that many recordings are corrected or roughly
> corrected with 5 percent.  This may not be true in your case or experience.
> To lower the speed, place a minus sign before the number such as -5.

Another way would be to use Tracks > Add New > Time Track. SHIFT + M
to open the menu, down arrow four times to "Set Range" and ENTER. Choose
the same figure in the "Lower speed limit" and "Upper speed limit" boxes
for constant speed playback.

In theory this would then let you remove the Time Track at any stage of
your project to play back at normal speed. But if you apply the Change
Speed effect, you must undo it before making other edits, or lose your
subsequent edits if you undo it later. However the Tracks > Remove Tracks
menu item only works with Audio and Label Tracks, which should be fixed.

In the "Play-at-speed" Toolbar, sighted users can double-click the slider
to get a text box to enter the exact figure, so it works like the gain and
pan sliders on the Track Panel. These sliders have a shortcut to access
the text box, so that would be the solution with the play-at-speed
slider. However given this is experimental I'd tend to call it a "feature
request" rather than a bug.

Gale

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/