Re: [artworks] Selecting objects with mouse drag

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:34:22 +0200

In message <80e6f9d94e.eddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Eddie <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just been importing some graphs into Artworks (2.63) and noticed
> something odd.
>
> The file is imported as a draw file from GraphDraw 2.68.
>
> The axes and data points have been stuck together so I used 'break
> shapes' to undo them.
>
> The problem is trying to select these objects with the mouse drag.
> I.e. you can't.

That indicates that their bounding boxes are incorrect (i.e., too
big). This is not unusual for Draw files produced by third-party
applications. [Erm, this is even true for Draw files produced by
ArtWorks, sometimes it gets the bounding boxes wrong (too small)]

You can fix all bounding boxes in a Draw file by loading the file into
Draw and resaving it.

Alternatively, even with the wrong bounding boxes, you can select them
in ArtWorks by holding down Ctrl while dragging which switches from
ArtWorks-like marquee drags (complete bounding box of object must be
inside dragged rectangle) to Draw behaviour (all objects whose
bounding boxes intersect the dragged rectangle are selected). Of
course, if all bounding boxes are far too big, you will find that this
selects a lot of objects.

> You can select them by clicking on them individually or Ctrl A.
>
> If you select one and move it - it then works as normal.

Yes, after moving ArtWorks recomputes the bounding boxes. So, to sort
out all bounding boxes quickly, simply choose "Select all", then move
the selection a bit, then Undo. This should fix everything.