Re: [artworks] Selecting objects with mouse drag

  • From: Kell <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:25:24 +0100

On 27 Apr, Chris <smart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, I will have a look this weekend to see what GraphDraw
> actually does when plotting the graph as a drawfile. It is some years
> now since I did anything to it, and memory begins to fade.

I have written various apps which create Draw files, and because I found
Draw to be extremely tolerant of inaccurate bounding boxes, I more often
than not made the bounding box any old size. The minute such a file is
loaded into Draw, the bounding box is recalculated, and as Martin says,
saving it out again corrects the boundaries. Unfortunately this encourages
sloppy programming...

> If it is broken, as Martin very gently suggests, then I will try to
> fix it.

I'm trying to imagine the circumstances under which one might want to
retain incorrectly defined bounding boxes - and failing. So Artworks
*could* recalculate the bounding boxes when it imports a Draw file.
Although this is a reaction to badly programmed apps - and therefore not
to be encouraged - nonetheless it solves the problem of legacy apps where
the original developer cannot be found.

IYSWIM.

--
Kell Gatherer