Re: [artworks] Font list?

  • From: John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:51:02 +0200

In message <8f2454284f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> It is drawn differently though I would not call it distorted, it just
> looks bolder than the rest. Its shape is perfect though, and when
> magnifying it looks OK and it prints fine. The only oddity is that it
> is drawn without anti-aliasing at low magnifications, but that is an
> Adobe Reader issue. It appears to have specially optimized code for
> rendering axis aligned rectangles (which the lower case 'l' happens to
> be).

I can confirm this kind of 'optimisation' exists in Acrobat 7.  It is
actually a stroke with a certain thickness which is being rendered.  This
also happens in the PostScript code written by Acrobat 7.  The nasty catch
is that if you happen to have a dashed stroke object just before this
optimized rectangle, that this optimisation will not (temporary) reset the
dash attribute so you usually get a wrongly rendered 'I'.  That's how we
found out about this story.

I got told by Adobe this is no longer the case in Acrobat 8 but I haven't
verified that.

John.
John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx                             ARM powered, RISC OS driven