Re: [artworks] Font list?

  • From: Kell <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:54:47 +0100

On 26 Sep, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is drawn differently though I would not call it distorted, it just
> looks bolder than the rest. Its shape is perfect though, and when
> magnifying it looks OK and it prints fine. The only oddity is that it
> is drawn without anti-aliasing at low magnifications, but that is an
> Adobe Reader issue. It appears to have specially optimized code for
> rendering axis aligned rectangles (which the lower case 'l' happens to
> be).

The replacement font also has a lower case 'l' which are axis aligned
rectangles.

> Generally, the "problem" is that the font you used does not have a
> PostScript definition (Type1 file), so it is exported as an unhinted
> Type3 font. You will get better quality by using a font with a Type1
> file in its font directory. The same applies to PostScript printing
> (and PDF export via PostScript from other applications).

I do need to properly understand such niceties, which I don't. The Gill
Sans (which is the company style) font came at great expense from Monotype
fonts sold by LOOKSystems many moons ago. How would I get a hold of a
Type1 file? Can one be created?

> You can do that now. Simply export as ArtWorks EPS (with "Convert text
> to shapes" unticked in the EPS configuration). Almost at the beginning
> of the file you will find a line saying "DocumentFonts:" followed by
> all the fonts used in the document.

Well, having used the above mothod, it would appear Gill Sans Bold Italic
is still apparently in use somewhere in the document (the new one with
DeGaulle), which I can believe, but also Trinity Medium, which I cannot
believe.

Is Trinity there in the same way that ArtWorks used to default to Avant
Garde? i.e. every document has to have at least one standard font?

I used a text editor to remove the two errant fonts, then tried to load
the EPS file back into ArtWorks, but it failed, something to do with
"length of sprite image incorrect". So then I deleted the sprite, saved as
EPS again, removed the fonts and imported again: and it looks identical,
so I can't see where those rogue fonts might be.

Maybe I should just not worry about spurious fonts being in the document???

--
Kell Gatherer
kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx